Thursday 11 November 2010

RL can drive you mad..

It seems I am not alone in my solitude.

As some people know I left lowsec piracy and to a lesser extent null sec due to not being able to contribute in the way others expect of me and what I expect of myself.
That is I cannot garuntee hours of concentration on a roam anymore..life seems to want to interrupt me. A lot
I cannot use vent at all times as 1 it slows the computer even more than before and the wife objects as she is often beside me watching some form of reality TV
Lastly I dislike being told what to fly, if you want a snipper BS fleet and I don’t have one or cant fly one don’t try to guilt trip me, I’m not gonna waste isk flying a ship I cant fly well.

Until recently I thought I was the exception to the rule, surely everyone else doesn’t have these types of restrictions but reading my fellow blogger’s posts I realise it is far more common than I realised, meny players feel restricted by real life and have left parts of eve due to it.
Take a good friend of mine, EVESOB’s post "be a man about it", he tried the null sec life and found that due to restrictions in RL he felt leaving was better for himself and the corp.
Today another post by a blogger I have a lot of respect for "frustrated" by evoganda, feeling the pinch of real life, he hasn’t said he is packing up shop but I can certainly relate.

So what is the answer for those of us hemmed in by real life? For me I chose to return to to high sec to my beginnings as a mission runner, to help others and to lead the odd roam to lowsec for PVP when life allows. A side affect of this is im hoping to make a insane amount of isk and but a nice fleet of ships so that if in the future I feel the need to return to null I will have every resource I need twice.
SOB did a similar thing in returning and starting his own newbie training corp, and I truly wish him the best of luck. I have even considered trying to organise some friendly corp on corp frig tourny’s or maybe a 3 on 3 BC showdown for fun…but I digress..
Do I still miss the thrill of PVP, of course I do, and part of me would love to return to piracy or maybe even join a decent null sec or WH corp, but I know that I cant maintain the commitment they need, so part time PVP is all I can muster, a roam to lowsec now and again and Btek has a fair few pilots now that I think wouldn’t mind losing a ship to join me, which means we/I can lead effective raids into lowsec looking for a fight.
Im curious to know just how many of you feel RL is inhibiting your eve life and have any of you found a nice way around it?

9 comments:

  1. Im was missioning with BTEKs own "The Sarj" Just yesterday. Anytime you want chat jump on HCSH-Tavern channel. Christ there is a rifter rens called "fluffy kittens" that I build from all T1 named stuff for our Second 1 v 1 that never happened.

    I want to do the Frig cage fight bad, but RL is stepping on that too. I have another idea brewing that will hit my blog soon. This one runs itself and encourages people to schedule 1v1 all by them self.

    Yes, I have returned to grow my corp. and offer some help for new pilots (or provide a place for folks to park corp. Mole alts). It fits the "when I have time" Model much better.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rapidly reailzed that as much as I'd love to experience 0.0, or good lowsec PvP for that matter, I cannot commit the appropriate time to get good and would never be of much use. However, I have found great enjoyment in doing all sorts of "odd jobs," roaming for lols, helping other players, and generally keeping myself amused as I fly shiny boats in pixel space. Of course, even then general MMO-RL balancing rules apply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My RL interferes badly with Eve. I am considering dropping my relationship and quitting my job so that I could properly dedicate some time to podpiloting. I'm serious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck I've been at this for over two years and I still haven't found the answer. So I keep looking for it, it isn't a question of quitting Eve for me, I can't see myself doing that - it comes down to finding the right place within Eve. Right now I'm just hanging and waiting to see if RL lossens up a bit again. if not, who knows? I'll find something else to do in this giant universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've been working up to 84 hours a week. My lovely lady has two young boys, 5 and 7. Traveling time is about an hour and a half each day...

    I've been reduced to blogging and doing the occasional freighter run for the corp.

    tbh I have NO idea how to balance everything. The only thing I can suggest is put more load an expectation on your corpmates, kick back and deal with what you need to in RL.

    They may just surprise you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Eve. Not only is it my bread and butter, but the community, flying, & adrenaline rushes are the best. However, I have not logged in for months. At this point in my life, I need games that have pause buttons. Pause does not work as well in Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been lucky enough to find a fantastic WH corp that is extremely flexible across the board, from ship expectations to how much time you do or don't play. Its pretty much do as you please and always something different to do with enough pvp thrown in to satiate the bloodlust ;)

    My schedule is very random, I couldn't imagine being with a corp that functions differently at this point. =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spellcheck is one of a blogger's best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found four activities that combines fairly well with my RL limitations (have to be able to log almost instantly, can't use voice/ts, somtimes all i've got is chunks of 20 min playtime):

    Mining
    Solo PVP
    Ore Theft
    Ninja Salvaging

    Now, since mining is out of the question, I have become sort of a high sec/low sec scavenger/thief kind of player.

    It atually makes interesting role play and fun game time. So I am happy! :D

    ReplyDelete